24.10.10

I'm in neverland...where are you?

Hello!

Sorry again for the big delays in posting to this blog.. its a lot harder to sit down and write than I thought it would be. Man... people with real jobs that sit behind desks must get bored quickly!  I think Emily (the ASM for the show) put it best the other day when she asked if my life was just a big adventure. I would like to think so!

(Fast forward 2 days)

So I was originally writing this post on my laptop backstage during a break I have in the second act.. but right after I got that first paragraph out, we had to hold the show.  The actress playing Wendy had collapsed substage and we started to rush around to get her to safety. Luckily, she was ok, but was taken away to just be 100% sure that nothing else was wrong. Since we lost our normal Wendy, we got to have her understudy swap places (Mind you, this is just after act two had started). After about a 20 minute hold to clear the previous Wendy from substage and get the new one up to speed, the understudy went on and rocked the show.  That was her first performance as Wendy, onstage, with an audience.  She went on to perform the saturday matinee, then the original Wendy came back for the evening performance.  Such crazy things can happen!

This wasn't the only show hold we have had in the time that we have been here in the OC.. we had to hold a week and a half ago when one of the be traps (we use to send mermaids up through the floor or to receive John/Michael thru the beds when they get to Neverland) broke. Luckily this was right before the final couple of scenes and we were able to put a makeshift leg under the trap that held it open. Whether the actors actually believed us when we told them it was safe to walk on is another story.

There really isn't too much to write about the show now that it has opened.. no super long crazy days of load in (but I am getting really excited about load out - all the cabling on the ground is buried under mud right now).  The biggest news to come out of the tent was the fact that it rained here (*@%* you mother nature) and kinda sorta flooded our backstage/substage areas (again... making that two times so far since we have been here). Other than that, things have been fairly normal. As I mentioned in previous posts, I ended up being the truss monkey here.. so as I am writing this posting, I am warily eyeing a harness to put on and go up to the cupola to replace some lamps.  If it isn't too awkward, at some point I will try to get a picture of me in the harness... it is very.... 'enhancing'... yah.. thats it.

Last monday I got a chance to go up to Hollywood for the filming of Jimmy Kimmel Live, which was an awesome experience. I was backstage with the audio team the entire time, and got to meet the lighting heads/grips and see how a TV show worked (behind the scenes).  I am going back up next monday (day after halloween) to do the same thing again, and to see Good Charlotte perform.

Lately I have been trying to get up and out of the house more often, but the weather has been holding me back. Today is the first day I swore at myself for not wearing sunglasses on the bike in to work in a couple weeks. Besides going to LA for the JKL show, I made it to Disneyland a couple weeks ago, and 'attempted' surfing with one of the pirates and tinkerbell.  Many of my days have been spent wandering around downtown Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Long Beach, or the South Coast Plaza Mall (amazing!).  Just two days ago I finally made it to the Irvine Spectrum Center.. which is a huge outdoor mall. For those of you from Seattle.. think Redmond Town Center, but waaaaay bigger and waaaaaay cooler. I mean, where else does a shopping mall have an ice skating rink and a ferris wheel? Maybe in Las Vegas... (which I hope to make a weekend trip to shortly).

I have sucessfully made a couple of friends here in Costa Mesa... it is difficult to do a lot of friending/dating since the hours I work are the ones that most normal people are not working. Plus, when you go on a date with someone and lead in with "Well, I am only here till Jan 2" things don't typically work out so well.  Such is life.  I did have an unexpected visitor from Seattle come by on his way back from Palm Springs which was definitely a highlight... hopefully we will be able to make it to the LA Auto Show together after Thanksgiving (which would be amazing).  I had another, slightly expected, but none the less amazing, visit from one of my best friends, Jason. He was in town visiting some friends, and I was lucky enough to snag an hour for coffee (and a good picture to send to one of my other best friends, Adam). Unfortunately the visit was only for an hour, and I had to bow out of the trip we had planned to hawaii for next week due to logistics. Instead I am going to hopefully be making a trip up to Seattle sometime in December. No holding of breaths tho.. I may just do a weekend in Vegas! ;)

Alright, it is getting close to 10am. I should probably run to the bathroom and go wrestle with this harness.  Some days I miss the ability to toss a ladder up, run to the top, and swap out a bulb. Oh well. :)

**Edit**
I didn't have time to read through for spelling, but I will try to do so later today!

No comments: